With geek culture having established an undeniable influence over mainstream entertainment, Nickel City Con has become THE major annual event in the greater Buffalo-Niagara area, drawing thousands of comic book, graphic novel, anime, video game, toy, movie and television aficionados from around the US and Canada! Big names show up for signings, panels and screenings, and with the multitude of cosplayers roaming the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center, you’ll find yourself surrounded by Batman, Wonder Woman, Chewbacca, Ninja Turtles and who knows what other heroes (and villains!) making small talk in-between the rows filled with our hundreds of vendors!
We are just 1 day away from Nickel City Con 2018! This year’s event launches Friday afternoon May 18th and continues through Sunday, May 20th at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. So let’s talk planning! Whether you’re a local Buffalonian or coming in from out-of-state or Canada, there are some basic things you should plan on bringing. Some of these go without saying but we’ll mention them anyway, for the sake of completion (everyone knows how us comic collectors are!). Here’s our list of the top things to consider bringing along, your mileage may vary!
- Autograph materials (Organize and get the items you’d like to get signed ready, plus any special pens, etc.)
- Backpack or tote bag (Makes carrying around all of your purchases much easier and reduces the chance of any damage coming to them.)
- Batteries (Extra batteries for cameras, etc.)
- Business cards (If you’re doing business at NCC2018, remember to bring lots of cards to hand out!)
- Camera (You’ll want to capture that amazing moment, either on your phone, tablet, or traditional camera.)
- Cash (There are ATMs at the Convention Center but why not avoid this line and save some time so you can see and do what you are really at the Con for!)
- Comfortable shoes (You’re going to be doing a LOT of walking and standing all day, trust me!)
- Hotel info (If you’re staying in a hotel, print out your reservation info and bring it with you.)
- Maps (Bookmark a map on your device that shows the area around the Convention Center and/or your hotel. Our Official Nickel City Con App—coming soon!—will include show floor maps too!)
- Refillable water bottle (Stay refreshed!)
- Phone/device chargers (Carry this with you onsite to power up if need be.)
- Poster tubes, folders or art sleeves (You can purchase these at the Con, but be prepared for any swag you might purchase or win.)
- Shipping materials (Boxes, tape, labels to ship stuff home if you’re traveling and you buy a lot!)
- Sketchbooks (Many artists who do sketches prefer to do them in a book.)
- Snacks (There are plenty of food choices at the Convention Center, but bring snacks to power up!)
- Sweatshirt, hoodie, sweater, or jacket (Everyone knows the old saying about Buffalo weather, if you don’t like it wait 10 minutes and it will change. The middle of May should be sunny and warm by Buffalo standards anyways, but cool nights make these must-have items just to be safe.)
- Travel info (Print out all of your various reservation information and put it in one place along with your hotel and NCC ticket info.)
- Tickets (Don’t leave them at home on the kitchen table!)
- Want lists (Update your want lists and put them on your devices for easy access, you don’t want to be fumbling around with papers or trying to remember if you already have that key issue.)
We can not wait to see everyone all weekend during Nickel City Con 2018!